- Horizontal directional drilling and boring
- Coating protection
- Sacrificial Coating
- Controlled set time
- ScarGuard is simple, easy to install
- Consistency of application, joint after joint
- Smooth profile reduces damage during pull thru
- No UV light or heating required
As determined by NRI
As determined by NRI
See system properties below
Application temperature varies per system
The following products are system components of the Scar-Guard system:
- Scar-Guard FC (Fast cure / Polyurethane)
- Scar-Guard SC (Slow cure / Polyurethane)
- Scar-Guard E (Epoxy)
Surface preparation and profiling shall promote continuous intimate contact between the FRP system and pipe by providing a clean, smooth, and circumferential surface. Surface preparation shall be in accordance with SSPC-SP1 “Solvent Cleaning” and SSPC-SP11 “Power Tool Cleaning” with a 1-3 mil surface roughness (25-75 microns) minimum. If an existing coating is present, roughen to degloss. NRI’s composite repair systems are bond-critical and require a strong adhesive bond between the clean pipe and the composite system.
Installation of the Scar-Guard composite repair system shall be performed by NRI qualified applicators only. Surface preparation, mixing of epoxy, material saturation, and installation of the system shall be in accordance with NRI’s product specific installation guides, latest revision. Quality control inspection during and after installation of the system shall be performed per NRI’s Installation Validation Procedure: Quality Control Records, latest revision.
Cleanup and Safety
For proper information regarding the safe handling, storage, and disposal of chemical products, users shall refer to the most recent SDS, latest revision, containing physical, ecological, toxicological, and other safety-related data.
- Epoxy:12 months with proper storage
- Polyurethane System: 12 months with proper storage
- Fabric: 12 months with proper storage
- Epoxy: store in original, unopened containers, indoors at a max temp of 95°F (35°C).
- Fabric: store at temperatures below 100˚F (38˚C) away from moisture or any contaminants, in original packaging.
- Pre-impregnated: Store in a cool, shaded area at an ambient temperature of 72°F (23°C)
Refer to individual data sheet for product packaging
The Scar-GuardTM line of products is patented and designed to protect field joint coatings from the abrasion stresses and scarring of directional drilling, HDD and boring. Scar-Guard creates an abrasion resistant, sacrificial outer laminate which protects pre-approved field joint coatings such as epoxies, shrink sleeves, and cold or hot applied tapes. Controlled set times, packaging and extreme conformability provide for fast installations in any project environment. The Scar-Guard line of products minimize the need for costly spot repairs after a pull back and provide long-term protection of underlying field joint coatings.
Please see below a list of Scar Guard case studies:
- 6in HDD Field Test thru Rocky Terrain
- 20in The Cost of Saving Money, Oklahoma
- 56in Micro Tunnel Saudi
- O&G Dist – (36) 12in OD Field Joints, USA
- O&G Dist – (36) 36in Bell & Spigot Joints, USA
- O&G Dist – 12in Field Joints, USA
- O&G Dist – 12in OD Field Joints, USA
- O&G Dist – 26in OD, KSA6O&G Dist – Potato Field Test
- Ref & Petro – 8-inch CO2 HDD, Hawiya, Saudi Arabia
- Ref & Petro – 24-inch HDD Wasit, Saudi Arabia
- Reg Pipeline – 24in HDD Dedicated to Integrity, USA
Please see below a list of ScarGuard related videos: